Whether you’re applying for a REAL ID, titling and registering a vehicle, or getting a driver’s license in New Mexico, you must establish proof of New Mexico Residency by providing any of the two (2) of the following documents with the same physical address that are unexpired and valid. Documents can be from the same category below, but not from the same entity. If you’ve been looking to “get my NM residency,” you can prove your New Mexico residency by following these instructions.

Documents That Prove New Mexico Residency

Your New Mexico Residency Documents must match your current legal name:

  • It must include the suffix (example: Mrs.” and “Jr.”) if it is apart of your current legal name; and
  • It may include, omit or abbreviate your middle name.

Bring Two (2) Of The Following: 


  • Documents Dated within 60 Days
    • Utility Bill (no cell phone bill statements are accepted)
    • Bank or Credit Card Statement
    • Pay Stub
    • Education Institution Document (Transcript, Report Card, or Enrollment)
    • City, Country, State, Tribal, or Federal Document Attesting to having Residency in New Mexico.
  • Documents Dated within 6 months
    • Local Property Tax Statement
    • Mortgage Statement
    • Insurance Bill, Card, or Binder
  • Documents with Current Date (not expired):
    • Real Property Rental or Purchase Agreement
    • New Mexico Public Assistance or Medical Card, letter or printout
    • Membership in a New Mexico Religious or Sports Organization Document (if under age 18 only)
    • Affidavit of New Mexico Residency (if under age 18 only) | Print and Fill Out: MVD 10021 | Download Form

Note: Anyone who is homeless or in temporary lodging and unable to provide two of the documents identified in the list above may provide an affidavit or notarized letter from a representative of a New Mexico governmental entity, not-for-profit organization, assisted care  facility/home, homeless shelter, transitional service provider, or halfway house certifying to the address where the applicant resides or receives services in place of the requirements in the list above.